Remains of foundations at the mine.
French Creek Mine Office now made into a house.
French Creek Mine in 1881. Wood burning locomotive.
French Creek Miners, 1881.
In 1845 Samuel Keim discovered iron ore on his neighbors farm owned by Samuel Crossley. Crossley dug out the iron ore in several open pits.
In 1847 Crossley sold the land to Jonathan Keim, and a small copper mine was opened up. In 1848 the E.&G Brooke Iron Company bought the ore rights and the land. The iron ore was hauled by teams of horses to the Hopewell Furnace.
The mines became flooded in 1889, and 1893. In 1912 they were unwatered. The mines finally closed in 1928.
Some of the most amazing minerals have been found at the French Creek Mines.
- Pyrite (also known as fools gold)
- Magnetite crystals
- Apophyllite crystals
- Calcite crystals: white, green to nearly black
- Quartz crystals large and small (sometimes called diamonds, but not real ones)
- Limestones: In the mine are limestone patches that were worn away on ancient Precambrian land before being buried by early Cambrian sediments.
Triassic Period: Age of the Dinosaurs.
The French Creek Mine shafts go right along side the diabase that formed during the Triassic age of the dinosaurs. Diabase is dark-gray to black, fine-textured igneous rock which is composed mainly of feldspar and pryoxene. Igneous rocks were molten magma from deep in the earth.